Monday, June 7, 2010

Writer's Block

It's not that I have nothing to say...if you know me, you understand that this is not true.

Alas, for some reason I am having a hard time writing as of late.  I was talking to a good friend this morning about my struggles in writing things down, especially things that I see God doing in my life along with circumstances in general, and it seems that for this season it has become increasingly difficult for me to verbally process.  I am a ridiculously analytical person, my thoughts seem to be often embedded in my head, yet I know that writing and reflecting is something I must do in order to continue to reflect and grow in my walk with the Lord and with others.

A principle that has stayed with me is the importance of reflection in general.  Dare I say that most people do not take the time in daily life to reflect, I am often in this boat in terms of jotting things down.  I often reflect, yet if it is not put down somewhere in a concrete manner, it is long forgotten in the near future.  I was forced to learn this as I was part of the credential program at FPU.  One of the teachers at the school would talk often and force us to be people who were reflecting and trying to improve upon our skill and development as teachers.  This process was incredibly painful at times...however, by the end of the term I was gladly surprised at how much I was able to process and learn by looking back and analyzing for the future.

This principle is often true of my relationship with God.  God is at work in the world and in my life, yes it is evident, and I often excuse myself from the discipline of reflection because of people, relationships, business, etc...  It is in these moments that I can so easily forget the goodness of God and what he is doing.  When times in life become dry, I need to be able to reflect back on what God has done and what he is doing in the world.

The Israelites had something going when they would so often create memorials to remember what God had done to deliver them, or how God had showed up in their midst.  I realize that I do not have enough memorials in my life.  I do not take the time to remember like I should.  I do not give thanks enough.  I guess that's why the Psalmist implores his people to "give thanks to the Lord for he is good."  It is so easy to miss what God is doing.  I is so easy to forget what God has done and where he has brought me (look at Judges for example).  I am prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.  Prone to forget.  Hence, memorials.  Cornerstones to represent the goodness and faithfulness of God in my life.  A glorious depiction of the love and grace of God in a life.  My life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment